Lloyd's of London
Give us a brief overview of the path that led to your current role.
I was inspired to dedicate my career to helping organisations and people protect themselves against cyber-crime by a colleague at BP when I was Head of IT Strategy there. The more strategy work I did, the more cybersecurity was emerging as priority number one. To build my knowledge, I took the IT Audit Director role at BP, and since cyber threat was the number one risk, I spent many days and evenings examining BP’s world-class cyber programme. My first CISO role was at TUI, where I earned my stripes implementing a cyber transformation programme. Now I am the CISO at Lloyd’s of London, which has huge digital ambitions.
Learn more about leaders in the UK & Ireland CISO community here.
What is one of your guiding leadership principles?
Be clear and focussed on the destination, be flexible about the route. Trust the team to find the best way there.
With disruption being a key theme of the past year, where do you see your role as a CISO going in the next 1-2 years?
I see the role as increasingly furnishing colleagues at all levels with sufficient knowledge and confidence to make sound security decisions with a “security first in everything we do” mindset.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in the role as a CISO?
- Talk in the language of the business, and ensure that your strategy aligns with, and supports the delivery of, the overall business strategy.
- Get your operating model and organisation design aligned to delivery of the strategy early on in your role.
- The biggest bang for the buck (and most fun!) cybersecurity initiative is your Security Awareness programme – make yours great.
Tell us 3 fun facts about yourself.
- I wanted to be a fighter pilot growing up (watched way too much Top Gun!).
- I used to have lots of hobbies. Now I have a wonderful son!
- I don’t like writing fun facts about myself!
What is the value of participating in a professional community through Evanta?
It is essential to participate in a variety of external collaboration forums, to stay current, to build connections, and to give back to the community. I learn much that benefits my organisation and myself.
Evanta Governing Body members share their insights and leadership perspectives to shape the agendas and topics that address the top priorities impacting business leaders today.
by CISOs, for CISOs
Join the conversation with peers in your local CISO community.